Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Pertussis (whooping cough)

I remember as a kid climbing the gentler mountains to go to my aunt’s farm from the train station at Valenii de Munte to visit mom’s sister Stella who lived in those mountains' lower valleys in the middle of nowhere.

I was small, my legs were tired, and I had whooping cough - everything tasted bitter that my aunt cooked for us and I was coughing so hard that my lungs and throat were burning - no cough syrup, no cough drops, just aspirin.

Whatever she served us, among them green peas and green juicy peppers, I still have disgust for those foods to this day. It was not her fault, of course, she was a good cook, but everything tasted bitter to me.

There was no medicine of any kind in pharmacies for my whooping cough, mom really tried to find some. The shelves were pretty bare - hoarders or black market profiteers picked up early whatever was delivered every day. Centralized economies run by the Communist Party were not efficient at all. There was never enough supply for the demand of twenty plus million people.

I must’ve been a tough cookie even back then. I survived the hike before I collapsed in her house, far away from any medical help. I don’t know what my mom was thinking! But I lived to tell the story. If only young people would listen to us and learn from our past!

If you wondered why we were not vaccinated, no whooping cough (pertussis) vaccine was available back then in the 1960s communist Romania even though the vaccine had been developed in the 1940s.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our daughters caught whooping cough when she was a baby. The doc recommended we take her into the bathroom, shut the door, and turn the shower on hot full blast. Sit in the humid misty room for a good half hour. That loosened her breathing. Granted she was otherwise healthy and well-fed, also this remedy would be impossible without a large supply of hot water. I encourage you to read "Dissolving Illusions: Disease, Vaccines, and the Forgotten History," by Suzanne Humphries, MD and Roman Bystrianyk. Vaccines are not the answer, unless you contract rabies, for that disease there is no other treatment. We must re-learn the forgotten principles of healing, along with the nearly 150 year battle against vaccines. God's design of natural immunity has been usurped by Big Med and we are all sicker because of this. Another eye-opening book is "The Moth in the Iron Lung: A Biography of Polio by Forrest Maready. So much forgotten history.

    ReplyDelete