Monday, December 18, 2017

Grandma Elena's Socks

Sheep Grazing outside Grandma's village
Photo: Ileana Johnson 2015
Last week I gave away at the nursing home dozens of socks wrapped in red ribbon. Some people were happy to accept them, some were thankful, some were surprised, and some were even reluctant to take them as if they were a trick. Only after I explained why I was doing it, were they semi-smiling.

Americans today are so spoiled and so well-off when compared to other countries, they cannot possibly understand the poverty and the dire need we had growing up under communism, especially since schools and the main stream media today teach them how wonderful and romantic communism is.

I did not do it because people cannot afford socks on their own or the facility does not provide them with traction socks, but in memory of my grandmother who used to knit a couple of pairs of wool socks for me as a Christmas gift each year. My feet were really warm while I sledded down the hill all day long. Walking to school in knee high snow was also much more pleasant with warm feet.

I had a couple of ugly cotton pairs my parents had bought me. Made by the communist label, they were ugly, ill-fitting, and never stayed on right nor kept my feet warm.

Thank you, Grandma Elena, you sheared the sheep, you spun the best wool, dyed it, and knitted the best socks, mittens, hats, and scarves! Since I no longer know how to knit, I have to buy my daughter a hat since she likes to go skiing.

I am sorry the knitting skills died with you and your oldest daughters! On the upside, I still remember how to do counted cross-stitch and needlepoint, none of which are really helpful to keep me warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment