Monday, December 20, 2021

Rebecca Duncan's Covid Pneumonia

Last year today was when I went into the hospital with Covid Pneumonia. I tested positive on December 16, 2020. I woke up on Dec 19 and told my mom that she had to take me to the hospital because I could not breathe.

My symptoms had gotten so bad that I knew if I did not get help that I was going to die. My fever was 103 something. I could not breathe deep enough to last me until my next breath. So it was like I was panting. And I was coughing so much and so hard I cannot even explain how violent it was. 

I couldn't eat, think, drive, talk, text, type, read, or see clearly. I had heartburn, indigestion, fever, headache, stomachache, Diarrhea, chills, hot flashes, sweats, body aches, & fatigue.

My Mom was hesitant to take me because she knew that I had never been to a hospital or the ER before and also that I was going to be all by myself. But I told her that was the least of my worries and that I needed help breathing, or she was going to have to call the coroner.

Mom had to help me get dressed and get in the car. I could not physically do for myself or think how to do anything. She dropped me off and into the ER I went. They put me on the oxygen; they did several tests and then informed me that I also had pneumonia.

Off to the Covid floor. I stayed for 4 nights there on oxygen. This experience was the hardest of anything I have done so far in life. I cried, coughed, prayed, coughed, napped, coughed, and then coughed & coughed some more. They pumped me full of vitamins, IV drips, & shots. Don't ask me what because I have no idea. I could write a whole book about my hospital stay but some things you just have to be there. 

I was discharged on Dec 23 and came home still coughing violently, short of breath, and greatly fatigued. I was told by the doctor that my symptoms would get better over the next 2 weeks, which was true. 

But surprise, my next hurdle was the Covid Fog and the side effects from Prednisone. I noticed on my last two days in the hospital that I was off. By the time I got back home I knew something was wrong with me. I was having hallucinations, psychotic episodes, insomnia, paranoia, mood swings (good & bad), anxiety, depression, memory loss, sensory issues, confusion, restlessness, and trouble focusing. It was quite scary. I felt crazy. 

I cleaned everything and at the same time everything was dirty. I remade my bed from scratch every day. It would take me hours just to get dressed. My senses were out of whack. I would go outside with shorts on and no shoes. My mom would have to come get me because I did not feel temperature correctly. Food did not taste the same. My hearing was extremely sensitive. My vision was blurry, I could not read, and I could not process my thoughts or understand what anyone was telling me. I could not ride in a car or remember how to drive. My parents and friends were not like my memory was telling me they should be. They were strangers to me, but my memory was also telling me they were ok. When your brain is telling you two different things, you are stressed and anxious.

I couldn't go back to work when my two-week quarantine was over like I was supposed to due to all of these effects. It took me about another two weeks to get back to normal. I will never take Prednisone again in my life.

Also, sadly, my Pomeranian Poodle was so sick when I returned home on Dec 23. My Mabel was 14 years old. For the last two years she had liver failure and Cushing’s Disease. She had taken a bad turn while I was hospitalized. She was no longer eating and was so weak due to her conditions. It was time. I put her to sleep on New Year's Eve 2020. I knew the day was coming but I wish I had been in better health physically and mentally for her last days. I miss her so.

I went thru a lot in the last two weeks of December 2020. God still wants me to be here alive on Earth. I still have a few glitches from Covid, but I am so blessed to be here. 

I have a new dog, Masha. I got her in April this year from the Humane Society. She has been a true pick-me-up. Turns out that I needed her as much as she needed me.

NOTE: This is her story as narrated on her FB page. (She gave me written permission to repost with minor grammatical corrections.)

4 comments:

  1. What a harrowing account-I had no idea-Rebecca doesn't look that old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a harrowing account-I had no idea and Rebecca doesn't look that old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very harrowing. Sounds similar to how my mom, who is now 81, and her brother and sister a few years younger than her, suffered from this terrible virus last year. All recovered. For my mom, the brain fog was the worst. Unfortunately, my son's best friend died of it in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Budd in Wasilla, Alaska:
    Ileana, I was hospitalized 11 days with COVID hauled there by ambulance from an antibody infusion makeshift lab in an old truck barn. I do not remember the ambulance ride after getting loaded into it or the first few days in the hospital. But, when I did get to where I could think, I silently asked God "God, do I leave here feet first or do you have something more for me to do:" That was in September. I am still not totally 100% over it.

    Budd

    ReplyDelete