Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Joe Keller Lived in Romania for Two Years Under Ceausescu's Regime


Joe Keller wrote:


I was on a flight out of Communist Bucharest, Romania on my way to Frankfurt. I was on Lufthansa. It was filled with Romanians who had bought their way to freedom. But, they knew they were not free until they were out of Romanian airspace.


The tension was thick and I could see the fear in their faces.  I had gotten up to stretch legs and looked out the windows. Turning around, I told the nervous faces to relax, we were no longer in Romania and they were safe.

One of them asked me how I could be sure. I told them to look out the windows, all the towns had lights.  The towns in Romania were largely blacked out.

Heads went to the windows and there was a huge cheer and collective sigh of relief with lots of tears and hugging.
-       

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I did not know him then because I left long before he was stationed in Romania. We actually met through a common friend on FB.

      Delete