Monday, May 28, 2018

A Repost from Memorial Day 2017


David Salutes a fallen soldier
It was a completely soaked Rolling Thunder day. We got drenched twice at Arlington National Cemetery but we did not stop. We decorated 2 rows of graves with red and pink fragrant roses.
Dave saluted every time as he placed a rose and thanked the person marked on the gravestone for his/her service. I did the same but I did not salute since I am not military. We were not allowed to place flowers on the graves marked with a star of David.

It was raining so hard, the deluge was washing away my tears. I was so moved by the thousands of rows of white marble headstones of the selfless Americans who served our country in so many God forsaken places and died so that we may live so well and free.

It was beautiful and I am so glad I went even though I was in so much searing leg and knee pain, My misery seemed like such a small sacrifice for these heroes who served their entire lives; so many died for our freedom in far away wars, liberating people who never thanked them nor appreciated their sacrifice. I was there to thank them for giving me freedom from oppressive communism and the opportunity to become the best that God intended us to be.


There was a feeling of camaraderie all around us, entire families, children, grandchildren, grandparents, or lone individuals were carrying around buckets of roses and placing them lovingly one foot in front of each grave marker, thanking that person outloud for their service and sacrifice.
People were in a happy mood waiting at the metro station even though everyone was soaked and shivering.


Memory Eternal for those selfless men and women, our true heroes, who gave their lives for our freedom and comfort.

May 28, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment